Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wallace Stevens

“Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird” by Wallace Stevens

There are so many different ways to view, “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.” The first thing that I thought about was how this piece did not flow. To me it was in segments that did not relate. Really, I think that was what drew me into it. Sometimes a piece is read without thinking it through because it flows like a river and you just get caught up in it and keep going. With this one you are not on a river, you are stepping on one stone at a time. You have to think about each step. With this piece there are thirteen steps. The reader is able to see Bibical imagery throughout the piece. The ‘eye of the blackbird,” to me meant God as He looks over the mountains. The three minds could be the Trinity. In Four where it mentions the man, woman and bird are one, I’m not exactly sure but this reminds me of the Garden of Eden when Adam, Eve, and God were in the Garden together. The “golden birds,” remind me of idolitry in the Bible. One thing I am wondering is the last sentence, “In the cedar-limbs,” could this be the cross? For some reason I am thinking the cross was made out of cedar. Not sure on that one, but was thinking about it. Stevens did a remarkable job. I don’t think anyone will be able to really pin point exactly what each section is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment