Monday, January 18, 2010

"Hills Like White Elephants," by Ernest Hemingway

In reading Hemingway's, "Hills Like White Elephants," I can see there was a very hard decision to be made. I read it several times to see if I could figure out what the decision was. Absinthe is a very strong drink and since she mentioned it, I knew the decision had to be a life changing decision. The man kept saying over and over that the operation was a simple one but then again he also kept saying she did not have to go through it. I think in the girl's mind she felt she would loose the man if she did not go through the abortion. When she said, "Once they take it away you never get it back," was she refering to the baby? There are several things that stand out in this story, the first being the beaded curtain. The other thing that stood out is how she said she was fine at the end of the story. Do you think the abortion took place before the train came. I was thinking with all of the drinking she had done, could she have passed out and woke up and it was all over? What do you think???

No comments:

Post a Comment