Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Harlem Renaissance

The Harlem Renaissance is my favorite period of the class. This is the time when African Americans' voices were finally being heard. I love history. There are a number of times in our history that I find extremely hard to understand. How human beings can treat other human beings like they are property is beyond my comprehension. As we look back in history we can see where little by little things were accepted until one day what was once repulsive is now viewed as acceptable. The Harlem Renaissance is a time when blacks were able to use different mediums to voice how they felt about their past treatment and the way they were still being treated. One poem by Langston Hughes, "Negro" describes what life was like for blacks. In "Negro" we see the beginning and the ending of the poem are the same. To me this shows how proud he was to be black. This poem tells us about the slaves building the pyramids. I can not begin to imagine the back breaking job of hauling the stones for the pyramids. Their treatment was at times barbaric. They were victims but throughout it all they were, "Black as the night is black, black like the depths of my Africa."

No comments:

Post a Comment