Monday, February 15, 2010

Raymond Carver

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver


So with this story, I felt as if I was sitting in one of the chairs listening to the four talking about love. One of the first things I noticed was how Carver used the sunshine in the window all through out the whole story. At the beginning of the story, the sunshine filled the kitchen. You notice the four talked all day and into the night until the room went dark. I think there is something there. Carver did not put that in the story just for us to know what time of day it was. I am thinking it was about life in general. I know the story is about love but it is also about life and how we live it. Carver hit some heart strings with the story about the elderly couple. In this story he shows several types of love. The deep unconditional love an old man had for his wife and how he had become so depressed because he could not see her because of the wrappings on his face. Then you had the dangerous type of love that was described by Terri. I was appaulded at the idea that she could still care about Ed eventhough he tried to kill her and had threatened her. Actually, that is sort of an unconditional love in itself, stange as it may seem. Anyway, the four are sitting around drinking to the point where the day was gone and the Gin was also. They kept talking about going out to eat at a better place. I had to wonder if they were really taking about eating or were they talking about Heaven??? I guess, Carver knew the answer to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment