Saturday, February 20, 2010

Adrian C. Louis

Adrian Louis’ Dust World, is about a forty year old man visualizing his surroundings and seeing it as it really is. The first thing that stood out to me in this writing was the TBird. Indians viewed the Thunderbird as strength, powerful, and energy of a thunderstorm. Louis chose the man in the writing to drive a Thunderbird because it gave the man power, “...I suck in my gut and lay some rubber.” Throughout this piece he keeps referring to the dirty, ugly, welfare world. The “three teenage mothers,” he keeps refers to are symbolic of ones who preferred to party than to work and make something of themselves. He makes a point of talking about how they flirted with the man even though he was forty years old. Louis mentions, “This is the land that time forgot,” which tells me he thinks of it as desolate or isolated away from civilization. “Here is the Hell the white God gave us,” to me this is saying the white man took everything that was good and left the dirty and bad for the “redskin.”

I like reading Adrian C. Louis’ works, I could see what Louis was describing through out, Dust World.

No comments:

Post a Comment